myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Waste no more.

There are have been numerous reports in the media recently about how much we (as humnas) waste food.  It is said that many of us buy food products, store them in our refrigerators and then just leave these items there until we eventually realise they have gone out of date and we end up binning them.

Quite shocking when put like that, but true all the same.  Only, the majority of people I know don't have unlimited funds and so have a tendency to write out a shopping list and only buy what they need.  Still, there could be items wasted in this way, but I would think it less likely.  A good way to ensure that we don't waste money and food is to not only write out a shopping list and stick to it, but to plan meals for ourselves and families in advance.  If we know what we will be cooking then we will know what ingredients we need.  And if we know what we need then we are less likely to impulse buy, which means food products are less likley to end up binned.

It seems like the obvious thing to do really.  Not only is it good for the environment, it is good for our purses/wallets and it is good for our health too.  If we make a conscious effort to be careful when it comes to our food choices we can make a difference, even if it is just a small one.  I believe that the slightest change we can make and keep is far better than trying to do something major and giving up a few weeks on.

As funds are limited for my family we are well used to having to buy only what we need.  But there have been times when even we have had to throw things out.  This doesn't sit well with me and I have made a conscious decision to make more of an effort to cut down on the waste we have, even though it is a very small amount.  I want to make more of an effort to plan our meals more carefully so that we have virtually no waste - let's be honest here, I don't think we can ever eliminate it completely.

This is a pledge I have made to myself.  I have been thinking about how I can be true to my pagan beliefs and have decided to make small amounts of change within my life.  I have a chronic illness that prevents me from getting out and about when I want to.  And I have a very sick husband who needs my care and attention, this also prevents me from doing some of the pagan themed things I have wanted to.  Life is very busy and often gets in the way of what I want to do from a witchy point of view.  With this in mind I have decided to set myself small challenges, things that don't involve me having to travel far and wide in the name of my craft and beliefs, things I can do that are free (or nearly always free), just small changes that I know are achievable and won't leave me feeling downhearted when something crops up.  It isn't a gimmick, nor is it a fad, it is a city witch trying to make positive change within her life in order to stay true to her beliefs.




© 2011 Susan Park. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment